IBDP English B (Higher Level or Standard Level)
Course description and objectives:
The IB DPDil B-English course offers students the opportunity to acquire English and understand other cultures through language studies. Language B - English is designed for students with a certain knowledge and experience in the target language.
Objective of English (HL and SL) Course:
- To develop students' intercultural understanding
- To enable them to understand and use English in various contexts
- To promote diverse perspectives and appreciation of people from other cultures through the study of various texts and social interaction
- To develop students' awareness of the role of language concerning other areas of knowledge.
- To develop students' awareness of the relationship between familiar languages and cultures
- To provide a basis for students to acquire higher levels of knowledge, work and use English comfortably in their daily lives using English.
- To provide opportunities for them to enjoy the foreign language they learn, and develop their creativity and intellectual interaction.
- To develop comprehension and analytical skills of two literary works originally written in English
Curriculum outline and content:
- Human Creativity
- Social Organization
- I Share the Planet
External Assessment SL:
- Paper 1: Choose from three tasks with a variety of audiences, contexts, and purposes. Each task is based on a different theme from the curriculum. Students write a 250-400 word answer to one of the tasks (25%)
- Paper 2: It is divided into two separate parts: listening (three listening texts and reading (three written texts)) (50%) covering different topics from five themes
Internal Assessment SL:
- Individual Oral: Preparing a presentation on the selected photograph. Then a discussion with the teacher based on the presentation (25%)
External Assessment HL:
- Paper 1: Evaluates the student's writing ability. Students write a 450-600 word answer from one of the three tasks. Each task is based on a different theme from the curriculum. (25%)
- Paper 2: Evaluates the student's reading and listening skills. Students listen to three audio passages and read three written passages from the five themes of the syllabus (50%)
Internal Assessment HL:
- Individual Oral: Students present their findings and thoughts on one of the literary works studied in the classroom. This is followed by a discussion that connects one or more of the five themes to the literary text. (25%)